Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I stayed the cold day with a lonely satellite

Happy New Year! I didn't do anything on NY Eve other than go over to a friend's house to play some games. I was actually home by 11pm. Party animal I am not.

I'm very hopeful that 2013 will be a year of fabulosity and I'm excited to see what's in store for me. I started the year off right by making pork dumplings, banana bread and doing a lot of ironing. Here's to productivity and controlling my destiny!

Winter is here with a vengeance. -23C (-9F) today with the wind chill. My house is heated by hot water baseboards which tend to freeze when the temperature dips below -15C so before leaving for work this morning I cranked my heat to +22C. Even with that it's only 19C in my house right now. Chilly! I might have to put my electric blanket on my bed tonight.

Cold days call for a wool dress.


Cardigan: Smart Set
Dress: Sohomode from etsy (last worn here)
Boots: Anthropologie via ebay (last worn here)
Brooch: Gift from my sister for Xmas

I can't believe it's been over  a year since I've worn either this dress or these boots. Seems like a shame. I wasn't sure they would go together well but I wore the boots for added warmth in the office. My office has two walls of windows so when it's well below 0 it tends to get a little frigid.

I think I need to replace this cardigan since it doesn't hang well anymore. And it's just crappy cheap cotton so it's not even slightly warm.

I wish I could have worn the dress without the cardigan  but there was no way that was happening today.

This is a nice warm dress but it's best feature is POCKETS.



My sister bought me this brooch on a recent trip to Australia. It's from a design studio called "I design things". I think it's pretty darn adorable. And the blue matches the stripes in the plaid quite well. It's called an Owl brooch but it looks more like a songbird to me. Thanks sister!

12 comments:

  1. Cute all around! That dress fits you very well. Brr at the temperatures though. I'm not sure you could convince me to go outside with weather that cold.

    What a great gift from your sis. I agree it does have a songbird feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think someone should design electric cardigans for work. We work in a historic house and have the same chill factors :(

    i love all your pieces, but that brooch is totes amaze-balls :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Megan! That brooch is sooo adorable, and the boots are pretty fantabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous dress! I love the plaid with the buttony-goodness of the boots, and that bird is so dear.
    We were just -12C here, but unheated barn, open door for light, and wind chill made for D: outfit photos, lol.
    Pockets to the rescue for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely dress and the boots are so cool! The brooch reminds me of a little fat Twitter bird.

    And here I was thinking "oh woe, it's going down to -1 tonight" - lol! We have it easy!

    Your New Year's sounds great. Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the most interesting wardrobe. I love how you make everything look your own. And those boots......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New year, wonderful, Megan
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dress, but I really love the brooch even more! I love all things bird!! I agree it kind of says songbird, which is just awesome to me. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so beautiful! I love our shoes! Sweet brooch:). Kisses x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I echo Ally's brrrrrr! You are looking lovely despite the cold. I like how the birdie picks (pecks?) out the blue in the plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the dress. I'm wildly jealous of your shoe collection.

    ReplyDelete